Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Make your own tooth powder

It's my goal to make all our toiletries myself. What I once thought impossible, 
isn't that difficult at all! Over the past months I tried various recipes to make 
my own toothpaste or tooth powder.

I first tried baking soda, then baking soda with sea salt and coconut oil - which I liked a lot, but hubby got headaches from too much salt (he has high blood pressure).
So, I searched for an alternative and found many recipes on powders with calcium bentonite clay - which was great, since I already used the clay to wash and condition my hair and to do face masks!

We have used this powder now for several weeks and it works great - only remember not to brush your gums excessively with it, you might get soar! It's sand or mud!
Other than that, it works really good!

You will need:

2tbsp Baking Soda
3 tsp Stevia (baking aisle at Walmart)
1/2 tsp Essential oils: tea tree oil, mint or peppermint or spearmint oil
3 tsp Ground cloves (HEB $3)

8tbsp Calcium bentonite clay (I use the edible one;
you can find a variety on ebay - I bought mine 1 lb for $8 plus s/h)



Mix the ingredients well. You might use it as is or add coconut oil to make a paste.
You can also just use it as an enhancer together with your regular toothpaste.


No comments:

Post a Comment